- Does egregious mean good or bad?
- What is another word for egregious?
- What is the best definition of egregious?
- What is an egregious violation?
- What part of speech is the word egregious?
- Does insidious mean evil?
- Can a person be egregious?
- What does egregious mean in law?
- What does particularly egregious?
- What is the opposite of egregious?
- What does the word Maleficent mean?
- When did egregious change meaning?
- What is egregious behavior?
- What does meretricious mean?
- What is the difference between invidious and insidious?
- What are 2 synonyms for egregious?
- What does incredulous mean in English?
- What is an insidious person?
Does egregious mean good or bad?
Something that is egregious stands out, but not in a good way — it means “really bad or offensive.” If you make an egregious error during a championship soccer match, your coach might bench you for the rest of the game..
What is another word for egregious?
Synonyms & Antonyms of egregiousblatant,conspicuous,flagrant,glaring,gross,obvious,patent,pronounced,More items…
What is the best definition of egregious?
1 : conspicuous especially : conspicuously bad : flagrant egregious errors egregious padding of the evidence — Christopher Hitchens.
What is an egregious violation?
1. egregious – conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible; “a crying shame”; “an egregious lie”; “flagrant violation of human rights”; “a glaring error”; “gross ineptitude”; “gross injustice”; “rank treachery”
What part of speech is the word egregious?
egregiouspart of speech:adjectivedefinition:remarkably bad; flagrant; glaring. The senator’s misuse of this money was an egregious violation of public trust.Such blasphemy was considered an egregious sin. synonyms: flagrant, glaring, gross antonyms: marvelous similar words: blatant, outrageous3 more rows
Does insidious mean evil?
Insidious refers to something that is “slowly and secretly causing harm,” and certainly Insidious: Chapter 3’s story of a girl who manages to summon an evil spirit when she reaches out to what she thinks is the ghost of her recently deceased mother will cement the meaning of this word in our brains forever.
Can a person be egregious?
The definition of egregious is extraordinary, but in a negative way. An example of egregious is a person who is a fantastic liar. Outstanding for undesirable qualities; remarkably bad; flagrant.
What does egregious mean in law?
1) conduct giving rise to enhanced damages is “egregious” conduct, defined to include “willful, wanton, malicious, bad-faith, deliberate, consciously wrongful” or “flagrant” behavior – “garden variety” infringement, however, is not enough to warrant a finding.
What does particularly egregious?
adjective. extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant: an egregious mistake; an egregious liar.
What is the opposite of egregious?
Adjective. ▲ Opposite of conspicuously or obviously bad or wrong. concealed. good.
What does the word Maleficent mean?
baleful: working or productive of harm or evil : baleful.
When did egregious change meaning?
According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in 1534, “egregious” meant “remarkable, in a good sense”; but by 1573, people were also using it to mean “remarkable, in a bad sense.” The OED speculates that the meaning started to switch because people were using “egregious” (which meant “remarkably good”) ironically.
What is egregious behavior?
In a legal context, the term egregious refers to actions or behaviors that are staggeringly bad, or obviously wrong, beyond any reasonable degree. The term is commonly used to describe conduct of a person, whether a party to a legal action, an attorney or other legal professional, or the court.
What does meretricious mean?
1 : of or relating to a prostitute : having the nature of prostitution meretricious relationships. 2a : tawdrily and falsely attractive the paradise they found was a piece of meretricious trash— Carolyn See.
What is the difference between invidious and insidious?
insidious/ invidious Neither insidious nor invidious are happy words: insidious describes something that lies in wait to get you, and invidious is something offensive or defamatory. Cancer can be insidious, lurking in your body without your knowing it. Invidious doesn’t hide; it’s hateful right away.
What are 2 synonyms for egregious?
other words for egregiousatrocious.deplorable.flagrant.grievous.heinous.nefarious.scandalous.shocking.
What does incredulous mean in English?
unwilling to admit or accept1 : unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true : not credulous : skeptical. 2 : expressing incredulity an incredulous stare. 3 : incredible sense 1.
What is an insidious person?
The definition of insidious is something or someone who works in a subtle or sly way, or in an intent to trap. An example of insidious is a plan that is meant to scam people out of money. adjective.